Hi Maury, Thanks for the wx chart freqs. How is the SFI? We only managed to get 2 stations operational last night but there will be 4 for sure tonight. We have many NA stations in the log now that we have clear path the the NE. We expect to be here over the weekend.
Hi Maury, We have just completed another terrible sea trip from Lif to Nissan island. It is too late to erect any stations as it will be dark in 1.5 hours. The boat is anchored just inside the lagoon. Tomorrow we need to go to the inhabited side for permission to use the atol. The team should be QRV with 4 stations by 08:ooz Thursday.
At 02:00Z Tuesday we vacated Lif. Tremendous help and wonderful hospitality from the islanders. We received gifts from the locals including a live chicken. We were the first foreigners to stay there. Approx 4,700Qs in the P29VCX log. When the sea calms down later today we will make for Green via Feni. It may take 2 days due to the wx.
We have just about recovered from our terrible sea trip. We operated 4 stations last night. We have 2,500 Qs in the log. We also had 300+ at Putt Putt (OC-008). The plan is to operate again tonight and take down the stations tomorrow morning local time. Our skipper is still concerned about the long trip to Woodlark in these present wx conditions but we have 1 week before the decision has to be made.
Now, at 09:00Z Saturday its dark. We have a 17m antenna up. A generator is running and we should have at least 1 station QRV shortly - possibly 2. Tomorrow we will set up 2 separate sites and run 4 stations. We will probably stay an extra day or so on Lif before the QSY to Green Islands.
Hi Maury, We have had a terrible journey but at last we are on Lif island. We met the councillor - a very helpful man. We have permission to use the men's house. It will be touch and go whether we are QRV today because there are 1.5hrs to darkness and the first load of gear is only just being unloaded. 73 Derek G3KHZ
Good morning Maury, We are still sheltering in Putt Putt cove and expect to be here until at least our Friday morning. We will probably operate from this QTH while we wait for the WX to improve. The call sign will be P29VSR (Gordon's call). 73 Derek G3KHZ
It is now 09:00Z Thursday (7:00pm local). We left Kokopo aboard Barbarian II at 04:00Z. Weather has been awful and 3 of our team have been sea sick. We have pulled into Putt Putt, 04degs 33.9mins S, 152degs 21.3mins E to rest until the weather improves.
Our flight from Singapore was slightly late and we missed our onward connection. Finally we arrived in Kokopo late Tues afternoon local time too late to do the essential shopping. This means we will probably start operations in Tanga one day later than planned.